Golden Eagle student-athletes understand that achieving a quality education is the
most important thing in their collegiate life.
However, with the demands of each athlete’s
athletic pursuits, balancing both is, at times,
difficult to achieve. Thankfully, the Southern
Miss Student Academic Enhancement
Program (SAEP) helps its student-athletes
attain and maintain that balance by providing quality academic support services. The
mission of the SAEP is designed to give
Golden Eagle athletes needed support to
assure that academic success is realistic, not
only during the athlete’s playing days, but
also after his or her eligibility has expired.
• The SAEP emphasizes making the academic career at the university one of production, by counseling student-athletes in a
variety of areas, including course selection
and degree plans.
• The SAEP also focuses on preparing the
student-athlete for life beyond graduation.
• Aided with the help of tutors, the SAEP
offers individualized tutoring in all courses
and an academic center that includes a
study hall and full access computer lab.
• In addition, the SAEP also monitors
NCAA eligibility requirements for the student-athletes, ensuring participation in their
• Golden Eagle student-athletes also are
involved in a variety of individual and group
community service projects, along with
life skills programs that further develop the
• The graduation rates of all student-athletes at Southern Miss are higher than those
• Golden Eagle athletes are consistent
members on the President’s and Dean’s
Lists, as well as among the leaders in
Conference USA scholars.